May 4, 2010

Scott's 22nd birthday!

I did it! I'm posting just like I half promised. I decided to cover all the topics in order of importance. Naturally, birthday cake would come first. I mean, my beloved husband's birthday would come first. It's not about the frosting, it's about celebrating his birth. Ok, and the frosting.

Always start with the food. I think that's a good life motto.
Here are the cakes:

Betty Crocker's cookie cake with homemade butter cream frosting. Yes, that does say "DUDE". We'll get to that later.

And Darlene's famous Eclair cake.

I'm not sure that I have introduced you to the Betty Crocker cookbook yet. Here it is:


It's fancy stuff and it's hard. I'm trying to slowly integrate it into my cooking but I'm not completely comfortable yet. But for Scott Gilchrist's birthday, we pull out the big guns. In this case, that means Betty Crocker.

Here we go. I made a chocolate chip cookie recipe for like 3 dozen cookies (in the Kitchen Aid!) and then spread it out on a pizza pan.

I baked it. Let it cool. Fought off the neighbors from eating it. Made the icing. Fought off the neighbors from eating the icing. And then proceeded it ice the cookie, I mean cake. Cookie cake.

As a wedding present we got this super cool Martha Stewart cake decorating set. It's awesome!

It does things like this! Oh, and while I have you here staring at icing let me make an announcement: I AM OFFICIALLY ENROLLED IN A CAKE DECORATING CLASS! I had my first class last Saturday. And immediately following Scott and I went to Michael's and bought out the entire aisle of cake decorating supplies! I will most certainly be posting pictures of what I make, or destroy, in the class.

Back to his birthday stuff. I iced this cake at 6am. I had to get it done before he got home. I woke up very early to ensure that he would not come home before I had it all ready for him. Of course, he didn't come home until 3 in the afternoon. It was definitely done by that time. And that's about all the explanation I have for why it says "DUDE". I was tired. I knew "husband" couldn't fit and "Scott" was too boring. Obviously, "DUDE" is the next best thing. And duh, you can't write "DUDE" without putting it in all caps.

On to the Ecalir cake. This is a cake that my sweet, caring, loving mother-in-law makes for him every birthday. I, on the other hand, have never made it. Luckily, along with the sweet, caring, and loving she is also very thoughtful and included the recipe in the birthday package she sent him. So, I did my best.

It called for these things. It was weird not making everything from scratch. Maybe next year? I didn't want to mess it up my first time around.

I made the jello.

And then combined it with whipped cream.

And then laid down the graham cracker crust.

And inserted the whipped cream pudding mixture. I then added another layer of graham crackers and topped that layer with another layer of the mixture.

Finally, I added one more layer of graham crackers and topped it all off with chocolate icing. The recipe calls for one can. This is not enough! As you can see. I ran out.

The store is within walking distance of our house so I just ran over and got some more. And then I finished it off! And did it all while wearing a reallllllly cute apron from the White family.

Here are the decorations for the celebration. My super nice friends, Leah and DeeDee, helped me hang this. It was on the floor by the time he got home. It's the thought that counts.

And the presents!

I think it's safe to say, he was pleased. Thanks everybody!

And this was his birthday dinner. Buttered noodles, PW's Cowboy Calzones with homemade pizza dipping sauce, and French Bread. That salad was not his request. That was for me. Everything else, he wanted.

Oh yeah, and the sunglasses. He hasn't taken them off since he got them.
Darlene, he definitely likes his new Oakleys!

There ya have it. My husband is officially old. See you guys tomorrow! Maybe.

1 comment:

bsimms8907 said...

baking is the best! Both of your cakes look really good!